Re: [aroid-l] From Peru

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] From Peru
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 07:28:08 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Jorge Lingan <jorge_lingan@hotmail.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 1:57 PM

Dear Jorge,

Yes, the area around Talara is indeed very arid, but about an hour North of
Talara on the road after Los Organos going North there is a quebrada with a
road along its bottom leading inland that might have enough water to support
some aroids, perhaps some Philodendron and Monstera sps., and some seasonal
species such as Xanthosoma and Caladium.   There are also wet areas near the
town of Tumbes, along the river.
Piura is also a very dry area on a flat, dry plain, but I remember reading
that there were or are some wetter areas in river passes in the Piura region
where a rare species of guan (a chicken-like bird) still exists, so perhaps
in these slightly wetter areas rare aroids might be discovered!    Good
luck!!
We shall keep in contact.

Julius

>>Dear Julius :
I've heard Talara is an arid region and I didn't imagine there could be
aroids, nor the existence of deep passes where they can grow.
What you described me is marvelous, I didn't think that there could be that
diversity of fauna.  Someday I'll visit those beautiful places, I have some
friends in Piura and I'd like to know this zone!!! I'm sure I'll find
surprises, since it's disconnected of amazonic forests.
As soon as I know somebody will go to collect in Tumbes or Piura, I'll let
you know, don't worry...maybe it's me...LOL there I'll collect your specimen
o Xanthosoma that you wish.
Regards
Jorge

Charle con sus amigos online usando MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com