Re: [aroid-l] From Peru

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] From Peru
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 12:25:48 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Ricardo Sander <rsander@racsa.co.cr>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 11:15 AM

Dear Ricardo,

I believe the birds you are observing may be the ocellated turkey, only the
second species of turkey (the barn-yard turkey is a domesticated
Mexican/Central American species of 'regular' turkey, about 7 other
sub-species of 'regular' turkeys are discribed from N. America.   The
Mexican/Central American ocellated turkey, though closely related to the
'barnyard' turkey, has never been domesticated and is very different!    Or
you may be talking about one of the curacaos, a larger blacker group of
birds, still related to turkeys and chickens.   The guans I mentioned are
another family, but also distantly related to chickens and turkeys.    They
are probably known as 'chacalakas' or soemsuch in your Country based on the
loud early morning/evening calls of the group.

>>Hi Julius,

I see these rare guans sometimes on the trees around our house. Big black
birds with blue peaks. They are like turkeys and have a hard time flying.
So no wonder there are almost none left. If you can throw a rock you got a

Ricardo Sander

Costa Rica