Re: [aroid-l] Dry heat death for aroids?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dry heat death for aroids?
  • From: "BambooChik" bamboochik@earthlink.net
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:23:29 -0500

> [Original Message]
> From: Leslie Georgeson <skinnychick2@yahoo.com>
Hello Leslie...I don't think the heat will be a problem. I think your
problem will be lack of humidity. I grow hundreds of aroids here in the
deep south where summer time temps. are regularly in the mid to upper 90's,
but we have high humidity to go along with it.

I would set up a misting system on my patio if I were you and have it set
to run every 15 minutes or so with a few second shot.  It wouldn't take
that much water and you could turn it off in the evenings.

As far as your Colocasia's go, they would be perfectly happy to sit in a
wet, boggy, pot and would do very well. Xanthosomas, also should do fine
like that; at least mine do here.

Definitely keep them under shade of some kind as the constant desert sun
would not be good for them. Even the Alocasia species which would enjoy
more light would melt under those conditions without shade.

I am sure that there are more experienced growers here as far as your
conditions go who will have good advice for you, also.  Sincerely, deb

> Hello fellow aroiders,
>
> At any rate, I had to transport my horde of plants with me and am now
wondering how they will fair in this heat. My aroids include Alocasias,
Colocasias, and Xanthosomas that I fear will simply melt away at these
temperatures.  Any suggestions or expert advice how I can keep my
"beauties" alive?  Right now I've got them all inside, except for a
Colocasia gigantea, which is under the sheltered patio with my Abyssinian
bananas and palm trees.  This Colocasia will be my tester plant to see how
it fairs. If it does well, I may bring out a few others, but I'm a bit
leery about how they will do in 100+ temperatures, even in the shade.