Re: [aroid-l] Amorph Blues Part 2

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorph Blues Part 2
  • From: Al Wootten <awootten@nrao.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:42:01 -0400

As usual I was late getting my plants out from winter storage; A. bulbifer already had 4" growth on it. Although I put it in a shady spot, someone tidying up the garden moved it into direct sun about early June. The growth shriveled and fell off. Now there is a strong growth again, which elongated from an adjacent spot on the corm.

Clear skies,
Quoting Neil Gordon <neil@ng23.abelgratis.co.uk>:

Sigh, ok last week i decided to put my A. Bulbifer outside, as we
having mice weather, and they produce nice pink edges to the leaf in
strong(er) light, or so ive read, unfortunately i want out and didnt
return for 2 days, when i came back, the leaf looked like it had been
sun bleached, as its been very sunny here in the UK.

Now, a few days later (as expected) the bleached bits are dying off
my plants looking a little worse for wear. I guess about 30 - 40% of
the leaf is still green and unafected.

Or perhaps it could be due to lower temperatures in the evening?

Can anyone tell me how badly this will affect the plant? I guess it
wont put up a new leaf if this one dies and wont increase the tuber
size this year because of it. Hopefully i havnt done anything
to it.

I had also put out the 2 A. Hildebrandtii I also have out next to it,
and they are hardly affected at all, with only slight bleaching
the margins.

I only realy discovered these plants about a year ago, so I guess im
still a bit green in respect to growing them.

Live and learn i suppose.