Re: [aroid-l] Monstera albo variegata

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Monstera albo variegata
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:09:36 +0000

>From: Philip Crabb <treetrustee@yahoo.com>
>To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>Subject: [aroid-l] Monstera albo variegata
>Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 14:38:45 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Philip,

I am NOT 'big' on these var. clones, but from what I know there are at least two different clones/vars. of the varigated Monstera deliciosa, a large one and a var. form of the smaller clone, but this smaller clone may be a juvinile plant of the larger clone.   There is a fake 'red' clone (photo shop) on a few sites.   The smaller clone seems to have 'cleaner' white stripes, the larger clone can have leaves that have both types of varigation, one leaf w/ the clean white, another w/ the 'cloudy' maculations, another leaf w/ both markings.   My 1976 vol. of 'Exotica' has photos showing this, and even lists a juv. plant of this Monstera as "Philodendron" pertusum, an old mistake.    The large form was/is available from Albert Merkle`s nursery on Hagen Rance Rd. in Boynton Beach, Florida.   I an not sure if ANY of the fancy names are correct or just made-up by the growers/sellers.   Photo attachments are not allo! wed on this list, there is a page on the aroid-l site to post for identifications.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.

Julius