[aroid-l] Monstera albo variegata

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Monstera albo variegata
  • From: Philip Crabb <treetrustee@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 14:38:45 -0700 (PDT)

I'm new to aroid growing and new to the aroids group at hort.net, but not new to aroid appreciation. So far, the plants I have are basic representatives of the genera.

I've got a couple of questions about identification of the Monstera
albo subvarieties: Is there a legitimate distinction between M. albo
variegata and M. albo maculata? If so, I assume the 'maculata' form
is more speckled, spotted, and splotched rather than simply divided
into white and green color patterns.

I?ve posted four photos at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/aroids in the Photo Album entitled ?Monstera albo varieagata,? in the Photo Albums section. The first two photos are of the same larger plant, and the third and fourth photos are of two separate smaller plants. Each I assume to be ?variegata.?  The plant that most resembles the one photo of the ?maculata? that I?ve seen is the larger plant.  But this one photo, found side by side with a photo of ?variegata,? at  http://www.raretropicalplants.com/new_rtp_site/monsterasx.html does not reveal striking differences between the two varieties.  So I?m wondering if M. albo maculata, does, in fact, exist, and if so, how it differs from ?variegata.?

Thanks for any input on ID or other suggestions you may have.

Does this group allow photo attachments?

Phil Crabb
Manhattan, KS

Do you Yahoo!?