Re: [aroid-l] Overwintering alocasia and colocasia

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Overwintering alocasia and colocasia
  • From: <plantguy@zoominternet.net>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:30:21 -0400

I have also had no problems overwintering the Colocasia and Alocasia that
form large tubers here in zone 6a.  I simply dig them up and let the leaves
completely dry back and toss them in some peat for the winter in my
basement.  Us northern gardeners do this for lots of tropicals, including
Curcuma, Crinum, Canna, Dahlia, etc.  It's just the cost of doing business
in the northern climate zones.  For those that do not form large
tubers.....illustris, Nancy's revenge, etc. you should keep them growing in
front of a window or under a grow light if possible.  They may end up going
dormant, but will likely pop back up next spring.  Best of luck, Dan

Dan Devor
Pitsburgh, PA
zone 6a