[aroid-l] My trick to overwinter alocasia and colocasia

  • Subject: [aroid-l] My trick to overwinter alocasia and colocasia
  • From: "Philippe" <valphy@club.lemonde.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:16:41 -0500

Also, if you keep them inside during the winter you absolutely need to
recreate a warm, humid atmosphere.  Fill up the biggest plastic dish you can
buy with hot water. Put one or more aquarium heaters in it, place the pot
with the plant at the center on some kind of scaffolding so the pot is not
in water. I use smaller dishes on top of one another to raise above the
water. The hot water will be kept hot-warm by the heater, and will
constantly evaporates and bath the leaves of the plant. Mine used to die in
the winter from dryness, now since I do this they not only survive the
winter, they even grow leaves in the winter. Be sure that evaporating water
does NOT get in the pot by any way, even evaporation through the holes at
the bottom of the pot or water can really accumulate at the bottom of the
pot and roots will rot. Don't let the heater run dry or it'll die.