Re: [aroid-l] Overwintering alocasia and colocasia

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Overwintering alocasia and colocasia
  • From: ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:29:01 -0400

Thanks, Julius. I dug some of the new colocasias and they were not tuberous at all - no corm to overwinter like an Amorph.

I'll try to overwinter one of each in pots in my big sunny living room. Some others I've already dug chopped and boxed for the flight to FL on Friday.

You're right about the greenhouse - except I *do* have one, a big one (23x52 feet, teak and glass)! Unfortunately it needs quite a bit of restoration. I hope to replace all the glass with polycarbonate this fall, but it still isn't heated. Last year I had extensive concrete repair, this year I had to have a new roof on the headhouse and a proper seal between it and the greenhouse - very expensive! Heat maybe next year... It seems there's always something to spend money on!

-Ken Mosher

Julius Boos wrote:

 >From: ken@spatulacity.com
 >To: Aroid list <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
 >Subject: [aroid-l] Overwintering alocasia and colocasia
 >Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:29:30 -0400

Just a quick note--I`d get the Colocasia w/ stolons to Florida, from what I`ve read they do NOT winter well as they don`t go dormant, even the C. e. esculenta (taro/dasheen vars.) that do form a tuber, they might be difficult as their dormancy may be longer than your winter. I don`t know about the Alocasias, maybe someone w/ actual experience can gige you some better advice. Without a heated g/house you really are at a terrible disadvantage trying to grow tropical plants year round.

Good Luck,

Julius>For those of us in northern US states, the Amorphophallus are