Re: [Aroid-l] Great Pistia!

At 06:33 AM 8/29/04, HUDSONSBIRDS@webtv.net wrote:

The word "INVASIVE" is beginning to bother me. Is it invasive to stock a
pond or lake with introduced fingerling BASS or BREAM ???Are they also
to be classed as "invasive"?Water hyacinth can be a hazard to travel in
boats--but in fact it is a water purification plant at the best.
"Invasive" is a tricky word  The strongest will survive!!!

I am reminded of the bomb tests on Bikini atoll.
it is now solid green, and the same introductory plant, some giant tree fern i am humiliated to report i have forgotten which one, was the first to grow there. what is lost is the diversity of species. instead of having say, eight billion different kinds of plants,  the regrowth is only a couple of dozen. when you start from a position of total destruction.
I do not know why the earth is not completely covered in Oxalis, if there were prizes for it, including size of its onion, i would be a contenduh.

Aroid-l mailing list