RE: [Aroid-l] Great Pistia!

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Great Pistia!
  • From: "ron" <ronlene@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:54:22 -0400

Your last line hit the MARK !!!   "THE STRONGEST WILL SURVIVE"  Is this
really what we want??  If we enjoy a gentle lake or pond, do we really want
aggressive predators killing off our native species, that have evolved there
for eons.  Do we want the aggressive "water purifying" plants to choke off
the beautiful flowering bog plants, that we have always enjoyed??
Do we want our beautiful woodlands to be overwhelmed by rapidly spreading
non-native species that are "STRONGER" in their new home, that the natives
that had always lived there???
This is what happened when the early explorers landed on their newly found
Islands and accidentally released rats and domestic animals. The "STRONGER"
survived and wiped out most of the local fauna.  As a matter of fact. Look
at what happened when the "STRONGER" armed explorers landed in South
America. The "weaker" natives disappeared.  Please,  be careful what you
wish for!!! Ron