Re: [Aroid-l] Arum italicum ID

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Arum italicum ID
  • From: "Steve Ritchey" <sritchey@shreve.net>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:37:00 -0500

I've often wondered if 'Pictum' might have originally been used for a clone
of  italicum that really was splashed instead of veined.  If so,  it isn't
anymore and is considered synonomous with Marmoratum ( at least in
commerce ) and should probably be dropped to avoid confusion with the
species Arum pictum.  A. pictum is much smaller, only  growing  8" tall here
in the deep south.  Its leaves really are 'pictumized', but with purple
instead of silver or yellow.  The entire inside of the spathe is dark
purple, spadix dark brown.

I have plain leaved italicums with both solid pale yellow spathes and ones
that are purple only at the base.There are probably a lot more variations
than this.  Seedlings from Pictum/ Marmoratum are highly variable, so you
might enjoy growing them and making your own selection.:-)

I don't have enough mild cool weather for them to ever become  rampant as
they do in the PNW, so no need to warn me about how  'invasive'  they can be
:-)

I have plain leaved italicums that are both