[Aroid-l] Arum italicum ID

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Arum italicum ID
  • From: "plantsman" <plantsman@prodigy.net>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:13:47 -0400

For several years, I've been growing several varieties of what were sold to
me as Arum italicum.  I've got a group of the small variegated leaved
variety that were sold as A. italicum 'Pictum' that I know is now a
subspecies.  I've also got several others that were just called A. italicum
in another group.  These are much larger plants, with very large triangular
hastate leaves and get at least two feet tall.  I seem to recall that their
large corms were rather long and narrow when planted.  Some of them have all
green leaves and others have silver areas.  I've also noticed a variation
among the spathes, although I've not kept up with which color leaf had which
spathe.  Some are a pale green, others have a definite purple interior and
others just a light flush of purple down deep.  Are these all A. italicum or
possible different species?  I've had a devil of a time finding pictures of
any of this family.  I've just harvested the seed heads from all of these
and contemplating what to do with them.   Thanks!

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN (Zone 6a)