Re: [Aroid-l] Lasia spinosa seed germination

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Lasia spinosa seed germination
  • From: "Mike Bordelon" <Bordelon.Mike@NMNH.SI.EDU>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:02:07 -0400

It's for that reason that I grow mine in a cement mixing pan, app. 2'X3', with drainage holes about 2 inches from the top.  It's doesn't get full sun and stands straight up with stems to 4 feet tall.
For the seeds, I would keep them moist just slightly covered with soil.

Mike Bordelon

Botany Greenhouse
Smithsonian Institution
4210 Silver Hill Rd.
Suitland, MD 20746
301-238-3130

>>> epiphyte1@earthlink.net 08/30/04 09:36PM >>>
Hi All,

Does anyone have any suggestions for germinating Lasia spinosa seeds?

Also, my Lasia's growth habit is unlike those I have seen at botanical
gardens. All of the others I have seen grow in a very erect upright
manner, while mine sends out reclining stem out of the pot that then
travel along ground level, rooting as it grows away from the pot, yet
still making nice big leaves. It is not in full sun, which is what I
assume is the difference between mine and the ones I have seen in full
to nearly full sun at botanical gardens. Any comments?

Thanks!

Adam