RE: [Aroid-l] Lasia spinosa seed germination

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Lasia spinosa seed germination
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:31:22 +0000

>From: Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>
>To: Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
>Subject: [Aroid-l] Lasia spinosa seed germination
>Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:36:19 -0400

Hello Adam,

Just place the ripe seeds (cleaned of their fruit covering) in wet sphagnum and stand back!    This aquatic bears large seeds, the fruit take an exceptional length of time to ripen, almost or a full year or more.    I have always seen them start to grow more or less erect for only 18" or so, then they always have begun to grow in a reclining or recumbrent form, spreading out of the pot along the ground.   There are MANY leaf-forms in the plant, the largest  (at about 6-8"!!!) is one from Ceylon w/ an entire leaf-blade that has elegant 'drip-tips'.   Nice aquatic species of aroid, but with unforgiving spines whose tips always break off in your hands, always wear leather gloves when working w/ this devil!

Hope this helps,

Julius>Hi All,

>Does anyone have any suggestions for germinating Lasia spinosa
>Also, my Lasia's growth habit is unlike those I have seen at
>botanical gardens. All of the others I have seen grow in a very
>erect upright manner, while mine sends out reclining stem out of the
>pot that then travel along ground level, rooting as it grows away
>from the pot, yet still making nice big leaves. It is not in full
>sun, which is what I assume is the difference between mine and the
>ones I have seen in full to nearly full sun at botanical gardens.
>Any comments?
>Aroid-l mailing list
Aroid-l mailing list