Re: [Aroid-l] Lasia spinosa seed germination

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Lasia spinosa seed germination
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:46:33 -0700

Hi Adam,

For the record, my Lasia spinosa is currently growing exactly
like yours.  As you've described: it's meandering around the
periphery of my pond with elongating, creeping stems- even
though the plant originates from a pot situated in the middle
of the water.  I think it wants to break out of my greenhouse and
give those naturalizing Amorpho. konjac's on the other side of
the glass an invasive run for their money-- but I could be wrong.

And I concur: it absolutely has everything to do with light
exposure!  My specimen was definitely staying put (and
growing much more erect) prior to having its light gradually
reduced by overhanging Heliconia leaves above, and some
vigorously growing Cyrtosperma merkusii leaves (huge!) all
along one side.  <sigh> Time to break out the ol' machete!

As to germinating the seeds, I've not actually sowed Lasia
myself-- but would think that Julius' recently suggested method
(as pertaining to Cyrtosperma) would be quite suitable.

        [aroid-l] Cyrt seed distribution closed
        Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004

"To germinate these seed, half-fill say a 1 gal pot w/ sphagnum
(so that you create a space between the top of the sphag. and
the top edge of the pot), place seeds on top of the wet sphagnum,
cover the top of the pot w/ saran wrap w/ holes punched in it for
ventilation, place pot in a warm place like on top your fridge.
Grow seedlings in the sphag. till they have two or more leaves,
pot into small pots and grow very moist/wet."

If you have a Gro-Mat, by all means use it in lieu of your fridge top!
I personally have good success using an inverted Zip-Loc baggie
to cover 3" to 6" size seed pots, as opposed to using saran wrap/ poly
film.  The baggies are thicker/ stiffer & create a nice fixed air space
above the pot.  I do not seal the closure strip tightly against the pots;
but rather maintain an opening at each end, which allows for some
air exchange.  But that's what works for me.

Good luck with it!

Adam Black wrote:

> Hi All,
> Does anyone have any suggestions for germinating Lasia spinosa seeds?
> Also, my Lasia's growth habit is unlike those I have seen at botanical
> gardens. All of the others I have seen grow in a very erect upright
> manner, while mine sends out reclining stem out of the pot that then
> travel along ground level, rooting as it grows away from the pot, yet
> still making nice big leaves. It is not in full sun, which is what I
> assume is the difference between mine and the ones I have seen in full
> to nearly full sun at botanical gardens. Any comments?

Aroid-l mailing list