[Aroid-l] Dormancy

Dear list,

Does anyone know what it is that makes an aroid enter dormancy? Similarly, what triggers the exit from dormancy? I suppose there could be different triggers for different species, say cold temperatures for one kind, dryness for another. The interesting thing for me is that it seems like it must be a form of communication that is transmitted to the organism as a whole, more or less all at once. Otherwise some parts would get out of synch and problems would result. Two possibilities come to mind. First, that there might be a chemical emitted by some sensing organ and transfused rapidly throughout the plant. Second, that individual cells are each capable of sensing the same signal and entering dormancy on their own. Both mechanisms would seem to have problems in the coordination of the events, especially the time to emerge from dormancy. Has this been discussed in the literature? Another elementary question from me.

Ted.