Fw: [Aroid-l] Please help me with Arum IDs

  • Subject: Fw: [Aroid-l] Please help me with Arum IDs
  • From: "Pacific Rim" paige@hillkeep.ca
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:50:58 -0700

To be corrected by Peter Boyce is a privilege.

I received your answer this evening, Peter. Thank you for your help.

Group, what do you think? Many horticultural selections of A. dioscoridis have lost
their taxonomical distinction and been wrapped into one variable species.
Fine. But given that so many of the arums in horticulture are clones, is it
not perhaps useful to repeat their former names, e.g. "This is the plant
formerly known as var. spectabile"? Or does that just defer understanding that variation is the norm?

As for my elongatum glitch: Thank you for confirming it, Peter. It's interesting how the mind keeps sifting. Already by this
morning, my sleeping brain had signalled, "Ah-ooga, ah-ooga!" Looking at my web page, I realized that I had mixed up the images of nigrum and elongatum, and
reposted the page.

Peter, do other growers plague you with requests for names?

If my orientale is orientale, some of the other orientales online must be something else.

I spent months in Borneo in the early 1980s, but was focused elsewhere. Failed to differentiate the orchids or the
Araceae. Thought of them all as plants.

Paige Woodward

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Boyce" <peterboyce@myjaring.net>