Re: [Aroid-l] Please help me with Arum IDs

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Please help me with Arum IDs
  • From: "Peter Boyce" peterboyce@myjaring.net
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:10:11 +0800

Hi Paige

Glad that I was able to be of help.

To tackle your points one-by-on:

dioscorides: The main problem is that in cultivation what folks are calling, e.g., cyprium, mostly do NOT match the original A. cyprium (which has a yellow-green spathe with discrete very deep purple spots and no spathe staining/flushing) and thus there is a double problem with scientific names are being misused as cultivar tags AND are being misapplied!The neatest answer with A. disocorides will be to recognize cultivars for the more distinct & stable colour expressions.

elongatum: when I looked yesterday there were no images of true elongatum on your web - the images under nigrum  were nigrum. The crucilal elongatum character is that the spadix appendix reaches to the tip of the spathe.

 orientale: Most on-line images are NOT orientale. Some are besserianum, some are gratum, a few are maculatum, one or two are cylindraceum (the new name for alpinum), yet others are italicum...

I get about a dozen identification requests a week by email and about the same a month by letter. I LOVE doing ids. Keep 'em coming!

Very best wishes

Pete