[Aroid-l] Yet another Titanum blooming

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Yet another Titanum blooming
  • From: "Horak, David" davidhorak@bbg.org
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:42:30 -0400

Dear Aroiders,

After many years of patient attention, our Amorphophallus titanum, here
at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, is finally going to bloom. It seems like
this is becoming an almost  common event around the world, but still we
are pretty excited around here. An official announcement and website
info will be in place in the next 2-3 days - hopefully with webcam,
additional photos, stats, etc. This would appear to be the first
blooming of a titanum here in New York since 1939. At last measurement
today the bud was about 41 inches/104 centimeters with an anticipated
maturation approximately 10-14 days from now. It will be moved to
limited public access tomorrow with full access a day or two later.

Our plant came from Alan Galloway in 1996 from seed collected in
Sumatra. Since it does have a wild origin, we would like to attempt to
pollinate it and produce seed. I am hoping that one of you might have
pollen stored from a previous blooming that you would consider
contributing to this attempt. If so, please contact me directly off
list. Secondly, regardless of whether we are able to obtain pollen or
effect pollination, we would hope to collect pollen for storage and
dissemination. I know that several of you have been down this road, so
if anyone could suggest successful protocols for collection and storage
and anticipated duration of viability it would be a big help-no need to
reinvent the wheel in this case.

While we have a humble conservatory aroid collection, as an extra
incentive to compel you to come see our little baby, additionally we
have some large specimen aquatic aroids on view: Montrichardia
arborescens (to 12 feet and growing), Typhonodorum lindleyanum (to about
7 feet), Lasimorpha senegalense (7 feet and multiple inflorescences) and
Cyrtosperma merkusii (coming back at about 7-8 feet).

Thank you in advance for whatever help you might provide.

Dave Horak

Curator of the Orchid Collection and the Robert W. Wilson Aquatic House
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
1000 Washington Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11225
718-623-7200 x6428