Re: [Aroid-l] Aglaonema 'Abidjan'.

At 09:55 PM 7/31/2006, you wrote:
Hermine, A. 'Abidjan' leaves are quite large, I would think too large for aquarium use even with a small plant.
A. 'Silver Queen' was common in the 'old days', it's leaf is smaller but much more narrow, so I doubt you're thinking of that one.  I've heard that Aglaonemas will live quite a long time under water, and I know the all- green A. modestum was sold for aquarium planting.

Thanks for the response,
Russ

One of the most sought after plants of the period was the so called MADAGASCAR LACE LEAF PLANT, Aponogetum fenestralis.  I also craved Cryptocorynes. I have not thought of this in DECADES. it makes me all gooey with desire for an aquarium again, one of the few things of my childhood which has gone way down in price since i was a kid. I had something like a homemade dialysis machine next to my aquariums, which I watched for hours the way others watch television. I sometimes wonder if the A. fenestralis has ever been tissue cultured. I grew Ludwigia under water, and it eventually sought the air and grew in a cascade out of the aquarium and had to my amazement, wee green flowers. I had never even heard of green flowers before. but i thought duckweed was a living miracle, too.

hermine