[Aroid-l] Brooklyn Titan blooming

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Brooklyn Titan blooming
  • From: "Horak, David" davidhorak@bbg.org
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:17:44 -0400

Dear All,

Our Titan is done and the spadix collapsed, but thanks to the generous
donation of pollen from Virginia Tech's division of Biological Sciences,
we are waiting to see if our pollination attempts have succeeded. There
was of course a tremendous amount of hype but that withstanding the
public really embraced our little event. It was special in that it
proved to many of us that plants and collections can compel the public
to come to a garden and that you do not necessarily have to resort to
song and dance nonsense to "entertain" folks. That said, the following
link is a time lapse video put together by our web person of the
blooming and really kind of fun. I guess that this can be construed to
be a bit of "song and dance"...but oh, what the heck.

http://www.bbg.org/vis2/2006/titan/video/index.html

I also want to publicly express a note of appreciation, in this forum,
to Alan Galloway who ten years ago generously donated this
plant/seedling to the Garden. The craziness surrounding this kind of
event (as many of you now have had the pleasure of experiencing)
inadvertently short changed his role in this. This event is a testimony
to the crucial role that hobbyists play in conservation and the
dissemination of information and special plants. It can often be
difficult to reciprocate, but botanical institutions do depend on your
dedication, enthusiasm and generosity regardless of whether it is ever
properly acknowledged. Alan made a lot of New Yorkers happy and I
personally applaud him as well as all of you for the generosity of your
knowledge, experience and plants. Thank you.

We did harvest pollen, so if anyone has a need contact me and I will see
what we can do.

Dave Horak