[Aroid-l] A little orchid mystery that is truly an aroid mystery!

I'd like to ask for the help of all you Anthurium growers out there.
On the UBC plant discussion group there is a Canadian grower living in Ecuador who has acquired quite a large number of exotic species since moving to South America.  He's fairly knowledgeable about orchids, but less so about aroids.  He recently put up a request for information that sent several of us on a wild chase.  He thought he had an orchid that was producing an inflorescence similar to that of an Anthurium.  The problem was, he didn't realize there was both a small Anthurium and an orchid in the pot!
I was from the beginning dubious of the fact this might be an orchid but was oblivious to the obvious fact there was an Anthurium spathe hanging pendantly and a spadix filled with seed berries staring me in the face!  It was quite malformed.  But Steve Marak took a look and, after a bit of discussion, figured out what all the rest of us were missing.
But we still don't have any idea what kind of Anthurium is in that pot!!  Would you take a look at the link and tell us if you have any idea what species this might be?  You're welcome to simply post your own conclussions on the UBC site, or post them here and I'll gladly post them over there with your name (if you wish).  This started out to be one good "orchid" mystery and if you read the link you'll understand why.

Hopefully, we can turn this fellow into an aroider!  One other reader has already signed up on Aroid l as a result.
Steve Lucas
We collect and grow many rare and
exotic tropical plants and orchids.  Take
the "Rainforest Tour" at:
Aroid-L mailing list