Re: [Aroid-l] Thyphonium nubicum vs Typhonium venosum 'Indian Giant'?

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Brian Williams wrote:

> This giant form is different in over all size my plant of the regular form
> grow to 1 to 2 feet while this Indian Giant form grows to 4 feet tall or more.
> The stems are different as well the regular form is highly spotted while the
> giant form has much fewer spotting. The leaves on the giant form also tend to
> be wider as well and less dissected as the more common form. The flowers as
> far as I can tell at identical and this may be just a odd selected seedling or
> a tetraploid. Here are some photos showing the differences.

I've seen several plants matching Brian's description, and even have one
myself, a gift from a friend several years ago. I'd add to his description
that the substance of the leaf is much greater than the "regular" form.

I've wondered if they are all indeed a clone, or not clones but closely
related, or a number of unrelated clones selected for similar
characteristics. But short of my wife winning that big lottery and
outfitting the lab of my dreams, or Ronco producing a "Mr. DNA Lab" ....

And while mine gets up to 4 feet (1.3 meters) or a bit more, I've seen
some that had to be close to 6 feet (2 meters), tall enough to pretty much
look you right in the eyes. Maybe it was just better cultivation, but to
me it looked more like they were an even larger clone (or clones).

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com