Re: [Aroid-l] Thyphonium nubicum vs Typhonium venosum 'Indian Giant'?

Aroiders:

Since we named Sauromatum 'Indian Giant', I guess I'll chime in.  We
purchased these from an Indian Nursery about 15 years ago and noticed
that they were remarkably larger than the "typical" species that we had
grown from years and unique in the ways already mentioned by other
observant aroiders.  The differences that weren't mentioned yet are a
much wider vein margin and a much larger (wider) inflorescense.   This
was introduced by us as a strain and not as a clone.  What we found out
later is that when grown beside the "typical" form is that they
cross-pollinate, leading us to believe that they are simply an unusual
regional ecotype.  Out of several hundred hybrid seedlings which are now
flowering size, we have some very interesting hybrids between the two
forms that we are still evaluating.  There is always the possibility
that S. 'Indian Giant' is a tetraploids, but this has never been tested,
but the idea of sterile triploid offspring is intriguing.
I hope this helps.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent