Re: How old are the aroids?

  • Subject: Re: How old are the aroids?
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:22:42 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Christopher and all,

Wow. There must have been some sort of refugia all that time to preserve your geomorphic features for the habitat of your shrimp.  I would assume that is rare.  What is the geologic history of the sedimentation or other processes of the region?  Are we talking about Anostracan crustacea?  I know you wrote a paper on fairy shrimp in Minas Gerais...could you resend me the pdf off forum?...I seem to have lost that to virtual world.  Anostracans have a geologic history from the Lower Devonian, according to my Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology.  I do not recall the age of your geomorphic features...could you refresh my poor memory? I am most familiar with the Santana formation fossils of the Late Cretaceous of Brazil...when shallow seas or lacustrine environments existed....and the connection to African fossils of similar age are proven.  I am assuming your geomorphic features predate that....perhaps by a significant period.

This is a very interesting point you bring up regarding tectonic movements and botanical evolutionary trends.  Are there many references on the biogeography of the aroids?