Re: Repotting Amorph. titanum

  • Subject: Re: Repotting Amorph. titanum
  • From: ALLAN TETZLAFF <atetzlaff@rogers.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:13:17 -0700 (PDT)

I guess I've been playing with fate...  first of all though, my comment on your repotting now - if they're growing I find this a pretty good time to move to a larger pot when you realize the one they're in is not big enough.  I like to wait until there is enough root mass to hold the lot together while you put it in a larger and deeper pot and then have it somewhere where it will be undisturbed while it grows more roots out into the new medium.

How I temp fate - When my titanums die down, I wait until the old stock is really shrivelled and comes away easily - then I unpot the whole thing.  I clean it up using my hands and smile at how much bigger it is, and then pot it up again in new mix.  I have 3 that I grew from seed - one being easily three times the size of the other two all the way along.  I don't leave the top uncovered but I plant in large containers and only water in a circle right at the pot edge until I see the stock emerge.  That way, there is moisture in the soil, but none going directly down into the hollow in the center.  Not sure if any of this helps, but I think I'm a bit rougher than is safe.....

Allan