Re: Philodendron Angra dos Reis, correctly Philodendron cordatum

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron Angra dos Reis, correctly Philodendron cordatum
  • From: hermine <hermine@endangeredspecies.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:19:57 -0700

FYI. The name Philodendron Angra dos Reis seems to have been used by Leopoldo Seidel, brother? of Alvim Seidel,  in seed lists friom the late 60s early 70s. It probably documents the locality seed source of this material. I saw these plants in this vicinity in 1996. The material at the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens is from this Seidel seed source that I purchased several years earlier. I believe I brought it to the Gardens in 1975 or 76. It has survived 24*F and the death of the host live oak.    HEL

and i have not found alvim seidel to be a reasonable supplier of plant material. however they did include a free scorpion which was as shiny and black as patent leather, which ran up my arm into my armpit, causing me to dance around my kitchen in a way never seen before or since, and it dropped out and vanished. i was afraid it would lurk and bite one of the dogs.

hermine