Re: Off-topic info on P. warmingii

  • Subject: Re: Off-topic info on P. warmingii
  • From: egoldfluss@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 15:17:51 -0400

I'm sorry but I have to reply to this-Your first statement is absolutely incorrect.
Names change all the time depending on whether the lumpers or splitters are in control at the moment. Names also change when the most recent oldest reference is found to be more recent than a previously unknown older reference.  For many years I had an extremely large collection of ferns.  I could not change the labels fast enough as the lumpers and splitters feuded.

To state that Botanists are only following the rules of Linnaeus is to ignore that a botanist like any other human being has an ego and in some cases that ego has caused divisions in plant groups where none actually exists.

But what do I know I'm only a collector-