Re: Off-topic info on P. warmingii

  • Subject: Re: Off-topic info on P. warmingii
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:01:05 -0700 (PDT)

Dear John,

Aloha and mahalo for sending the picture.

First of all, it is my understanding that Philodendron cannifolium is a synonym for Philodendron martianum.

I have seen many Philodendron martianum.  Most of them are rather broad bladed, but I have seen them with narrower blades and intermediates.  In my mind, they are all Philodendron martianum. I have seen these in coastal restingas in Sao Paulo state and Rio de Janeiro state.  They normally are found in forests with small trees growing as epiphytes in bright light...often rather low to the ground.  Bactris palms a are common feature of these forest types.

Last year I saw two very narrow bladed Philodendron martianum and I asked about them...it turned out that they originally came from me. This clone was probably a juvenile in my collection, but I never segregated it out as different.  I am now growing this out to see what the mature form looks like.

Your photo from Exotica looks like a narrow bladed form of Philodendron martianum.  I can find no scientific references to Philodendron warmingii.

Now.  Many of my plants were gifts ex. Roberto Burle-Marx's greenhouses and some of my plants have hybrid traits...until they flower and I can really compare some of these details...this is my best assessment.  I have a Philodendron that looks like Philodendron martianum but has back lobes on the blades.  Is this a species?  I cannot say.  Roberto had natural pollinators and several hybrids in his collections probably were due to recruitment of seedlings in his greenhouses.

Aloha,

Leland