Re: Dracunculus growing on clay Z5

  • Subject: Re: Dracunculus growing on clay Z5
  • From: "Christopher Rogers" <CRogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:32:03 -0700

They should do well if you plant them in a raised bed with very well drained soil. They cannot sit in wet or they will rot. The clay particles in your native soils can complex in the presence of water and form a hydrophobic barrier around the tubers and roots. So you will want to create a a good mix with sand and/or pumice with loam.
Good luck,
D. Christopher Rogers
Invertebrate Ecologist
Telephone: 530.383.4798