Re: Dracunculus growing on clay Z5

  • Subject: Re: Dracunculus growing on clay Z5
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:27:17 -0500 (CDT)

From my experience (zone 6, NW Arkansas, USA) and that of people to whom
I've given Dracunculus in colder places, I'd say it's worth trying, but I
would try some offsets for a few years first and not risk all of your
plants. It seems to depend on the particular strain you have, as well as
your climate.

Dracunculus vulgaris has been grown here for a long time, at least 100
years now, and I got my plants locally, so they are long-term survivors in
this climate. I gave some to a guy in Denver (definitely zone 5) 5+ years
ago. They did well, and he liked them so much he ordered some more from a
commercial source. All of those died, but the ones I gave him are still
going strong. I was in Denver a few weeks ago and saw them and they looked
great, with big seed heads. He believes they are hardier than those in
commerce.

Steve

(Mine have big seed heads too, just beginning to ripen, so if anyone wants
seed let me know and I'll collect some.)

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, Stanley kaufman wrote:

> It has been growing here in NE Ohio USA for years in one garden I know
> of,  and mutiplying and producing viable seed.  I can't vouch for the
> soil but my place here is primarly clay.

> Stan K.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com