Re: Dracunculus growing on clay Z5

Mine grew well for me here for years in locations of loose soil with little other plant competition. They would bloom in late May here in my zone 7 garden (about -10C) but in milder winter start showing above ground as early as January. Unfortunayely as my soil has become richer, more compacted, and more populated/shaded, individual colonies died out. I had several healthy blooming plants this spring, but after an unusually cool and wet May and June they collapsed and I found the tubers rotting. I've brought them indoors, cleaned them, and am storing them indoors until next year to see if I can save them.
Bonaventure Magrys
Cliffwood Beach (Old Bridge Twp.), NJ, USA
Aroid-L mailing list