Advise in planting Arum seeds

  • Subject: Advise in planting Arum seeds
  • From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 22:25:45 -0500

Dear Aroiders:

            I just returned from a trip to the Balkans and collected an Arum in fruit in Durres, Albania.  Since these berries were mature in the midst of their dry Mediterranean style summer and if shed directly in such dry conditions could surely not germinate I am assuming that they must somehow survive without germinating until the rains begin.  Does anyone know what I should do to get these seeds to germinate?  Do they need to be stored?  Planted directly?  Treated in any particular way?  I would appreciate you help.  Emily is coming in tomorrow to deal with them so if you have some advise I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Tom

Pete:  I have copied both you and Marija Bedalov since I know that both of you have had direct experience with Arum.

Tom