Re: Advise in planting Arum seeds

  • Subject: Re: Advise in planting Arum seeds
  • From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum@googlemail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 13:28:05 +0800

Hi Tom,

In the Mediterranean the ripe fruits stay on the peduncle for a long time, and generally are collected by thrushes or blackbirds (Turdus spp.) late in summer, as the autumn/winter rains begin. The seed passes through the bird, either via regurgitation or through faeces, but the important thing is that the red pericarp and pulpy mesocarp is removed

The fruits  should be cleaned of the pulp and sown on the surface of a mineral-soil rich mix and covered to ca. ½ inch with small chippings (1/8-1/4 inch), ideally limestone. Water them well and stand the pot someplace shady. Keep an eye on water; don’t let them become totally dry, but equally overwatering is detrimental. They will begin to germinate immediately they encounter moisture but, depending on the species, will either produce an aerial shoot (eophyll) soon after germination (most), or will concentrate on root/tuber production and produce an aerial shoot very early in the new year (maculatum, cylindraceum, orientale).

Very best