Re: In Xanadu did Kublai Khan a stately Pleasure Dome Decree

  • Subject: Re: In Xanadu did Kublai Khan a stately Pleasure Dome Decree
  • From: hermine <hermine@endangeredspecies.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 22:33:59 -0700

As far as I can learn, and Julius and I have talked about this a great deal, the species was described from tissue cultured specimens.  That is unusual in botany but there was a great deal of info that lead Julius with Tom and Simon Mayo's help to believe the plant was unique.  You can read about that in two different articles by Julius found in Aroideana.

I believe the variations you appear to be describing are primarily a result of tissue culture.

One note.  Leland Miyano believes, and I think he has actually seen a plant in Brazil that is very much like P. xanadu but is larger.  I also have a friend that lives near Mexico City that brought back seeds from Brazil some 20 years ago (well before tissue culture was popular) and his plants are identical to those we see in tissue culture but stay perpetually smaller than the ones Leland describes.

This I have already heard! so you can imagine confusion!

I'm sure you know that a great deal of the forest in Brazil has been devastated so many species will likely never be found in the wild.

Yes, I am afraid i know this.....

  I've been fortunate enough to receive four plants from the collection of Roberto Burle-Marx that were apparently wild collected but there is zero collection data.

He has been a favourite of both of us for decades!

If we can get Leland to chime in I believe he can tell you about the plants he has seen including the one that may well be the original parent of P. xanadu!

I would be very interested to see this!

-l] Aroid-L XANADU
Message: 5

Herm , you must be seeing some strange things with Xanadu tags on them , as I only know it as a small clumping self-header with pinnate dark green leaves .
Is know a species .

Michael Pascall,

Indeed, I have which is what provoked my question in the beginning!~

hermine