Philodendron crassinervium inflorescence]

  • Subject: Philodendron crassinervium inflorescence]
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 14:11:57 -0500

A big apology Tom!  I didn't actually refer to my notes before sending this Aroid l post and later learned the "boat shaped" mention was not from your field notes!  Instead it came from Anna Haigh's translation of Kurt Krause' published synopsis from 1913 which can be found on CATE Araceae.  The description from Krause appears very different than the plate you sent.  I've copied it here:

Philodendron crassinervium Lindl. sec CATE Araceae, 2009

Stem repent and scandent, internodes 5-10 cm long, 1.5-2 cm thick. LEAVES: Petiole semiterete, 10-13 cm long, 5-8 mm thick, sheathed at the base for 2-3 cm; Blade linear-oblong, or lanceolate-oblong, apex cuspidate-acuminate for almost 1 cm, narrowly cuneate towards the base, 3-4.5 cm, rarely longer, 6-10 cm wide; midrib swollen, ca. 1 cm wide at the base, strongly attenuating towards the apex; lateral veins slender, subparallel, spreading, ascending and joining near the margin. INFLORESCENCES: Peduncle slender, 10-15 cm long, 3-4 mm thick. Spathe boat-shaped, apex shortly apiculate, tube 3-4 cm long, externally green, internally at the base light purple, green-coloured towards the spathe-blade; blade shortly stipitate; female zone 5-6 cm long, 1 cm thick. Pistils ovoid, ca. 2 mm long, 4-6-locular, locules many-ovulate. Male flowers usually triandrous. Berries turbinate [obconical], 4-5 mm long, 2 mm thick, white, stigma brown with 4-6 small lobes. Seeds oblong, pale.

Krause, K. 1913. Araceae-Philodendroideae-Philodendreae-Philodendrinae. Das Pflanzenreich. 60 (IV.23Db): 1-143 p. 22, translated by A. Haigh.

I've added an explanation to the page:  http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20crassinervium%20Philodendron%20lanceolatum.pc.html

Steve

Thanks a bunch Tom.  I received the scan last night and will add it to the page.

The thing I find very interesting is Schott's illustration doesn't appear to match some of your field notes on TROPICOS.  Mauro Piexoto of Brazil Plants allowed me to use one of his photos of two inflorescences of  P. crassinervium which are "boat shaped" as your notes state they should be.   Could this indicate that Schott actually described something that no longer exists or possibly either of the plants we know as Philodendron lanceolatum or Philodendron alternans?  As I told you privately neither Marcus Nadruz nor Eduardo Gonçalves appear to believe P. alternans should be considered a synonym.

There seems to always be more to learn.

Steve

Tom Croat wrote:

Dear Steve:  We could scan Schott’s painting of the inflorescences if you would like it.

Tom

begin:vcard
fn:Steve  Lucas
n:Lucas;Steve