Aroid chat forums

I have received a few private emails asking why Aroid l isn't online as a chat forum.  There are several very good reasons one of which is I highly doubt our aroid botanists have the time to post on a chat forum and prefer to receive requests for information in email form.

There are several good aroid forums on the net so let me point you in their directions so you can join and participate.

University of British Colombia Botanical Garden:
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=272

Of the forums available my personal preference is UBC.  The forum is moderated by botanists and they strive to keep the conversation "clean"  They quickly edit anything that gets "nasty" and remove any SPAM that slips through and they also are helpful in pointing out blatant errors.  There are some very knowledgeable folks on UBC and we often bat ideas back and forth so you may like this one as much as I.  Often the conversation can be very good and there rarely any conflicts.  The thing about UBC I like the best is you receive an instant notification when someone has responded to a thread you indicate you'd like to know about or to which you have made a post.  Photos are easy to post (once you read the instructions) so people can see what you're talking about.  So far we've not had any aroid botanist join but I'd love to see some participation if any find the time.

For those of you that love Amorphophallus and Arum species, for some reason we don't get a lot of talk on UBC about that genus.  Personally, I'd like to see more so please consider joining the group.

GardenWeb Aroid Forum
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/aroid/

I sometimes post on GardenWeb but that forum is not moderated and is owned by a for-profit company out of New York City.  Generally I find GardenWeb to be good, however more than once I've seen people that were doing nothing other than trying to trade plants be run off by a few members that thought the person was attempting to sell something.  Although rare, there have been attempts by a few people to insist only their opinion should be given any consideration and the posts have been "testy".  Believe me, that is an understatement.  I was asked twice publicly to leave by one individual.  Another called me a "pompous ___"  when I tried to explain a photo on the board of "Anthurium cubense" was not the species.

The owners will sometimes remove posts that are really "over the top" but someone has to take the time to let them know.  One of their "editors" told me in a private note they just don't have the time to read everything.  This forum tends to appeal more to folks that like basic info and some really don't enjoy reading anything related to science.  I've been nailed a few times on there for using "scientific" language even though I do my best to explain it.  But GardenWeb just may be the one best for you and several members of Aroid l use it regularly so check it out.  GardenWeb does not send notifications as far as I can figure out.

Dave's Garden
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/

Dave's Garden is a unique forum since it is a "for profit" company and you pay to use their member service.  Anyone can look up plants on their pages but you'll also find a lot of advertising for shoes and other items on the pages.  I know of quite a few IAS members on the forum and the information on the threads is often good.  LariAnn Garner publishes regular articles about aroids on Dave's which I often read.  All the plant photos are added by members and my main problem with Dave's Garden is there are quite a few improperly identified species on their pages.  When I've tried to point those out the owner's often do not respond and in one case simply told me I was wrong even though Dr. Croat has identified the plant.  If you want to post a correct photo you must pay the member fee to be able to do so.  Anyone can make notes at the bottom of a page if you wish to correct an error but I'm not sure how many people go past the first photo.  You have to become a free member with limited access to do so.  Still, Dave's is a very good forum that covers many plant interests.  I am not a member so I don't know how the forum works for certain.

I've seen a few forums come and go from around the globe and if you know of one please add it to this list.

I would encourage all of you that enjoy chatting about aroids or other genera to use the one that fits your needs best.  I'd really like to see more of you join UBC since we can really bat ideas back and forth quickly.  I often learn new things from others on that site.

Now, for those of you that are going to ask........... Yes, I did leave UBC just over one year ago and swore never to return.  One poster took it upon themselves to be less than kind in some of their posts and made some very strong accusations.  I'm not sure why, but the moderators didn't take those down as they normally do.  I have little use for such combativeness in any on-line forum and my current approach is simply not to respond.  After I left I had a lot of mail asking me to return and elected to do so about four months ago.  I have enjoyed all the exchanges since I returned.  So now you know!

Steve
www.ExoticRainforest.com

begin:vcard
fn:Steve  Lucas