Members 2010 (3) IAS Newsletter now available

  • Subject: Members 2010 (3) IAS Newsletter now available
  • From: "Carla Kostelac" <Carla.Kostelac@mobot.org>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:45:44 -0500

Dear IAS Members:

Because of the hard work of many people, especially Albert Huntington, the third issue of the IAS Newsletter is now available. You will notice that this issue is dedicated to two special aroiders that we lost this year, Tricia Frank and Julius Boos. Both of them were very important members of the IAS and we will never forget them.

EDITOR’S NOTE: To honor both Tricia and Julius we have posted the descriptions of plants named in their honor in this issue of the Newsletter. At the IAS Show in 2008, Tricia Frank was presented with a framed copy of Anthurium triciafrankiae that Tom Croat named after her. Recently this scientific name was published in a German journal, Willdenowia, volume 40, p. 105-108 (2010). Since many of you probably do not subscribe to that journal, I thought that it would be fitting to publish it in the Newsletter for all of you to see.

Likewise, Tom Croat named a plant after Julius Boos, Anthurium boosii, and a framed version of the description was presented to Julius at the 2009 IAS Show in Miami. This scientific name is currently in preparation but not yet published. Hopefully it will be published soon.

For those of you that did not think that these descriptions should have been included in this Newsletter issue, please know that I am NOT trying to officially publish names in this venue—and thank you for reminding me of the Botanical Code. My only wish is to share how both Tricia Frank and Julius Boos were honored and memorialized. I did have Albert put disclaimers above both names indicating that. Apparently it is not appropriate to post new scientific names in the Newsletter, even to honor our lost friends.

Many thanks for your interest and support of the IAS Newsletter.

Carla V. Kostelac

IAS Newsletter Editor

Aroid-L mailing list