Re: Anthurium bakeri infructescence-seeds

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium bakeri infructescence-seeds
  • From: Ferenc Lengyel <feri.lengyel@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:52:17 +0200

Hi Marek,
Firs of all, I have no experience with this species. But If I were you, I would try to saw some seeds now and leave some fruits on the plant. A have sown seeds of an Anthurium hybrid (looking just like hookeri but the color of the berries differing) last year and the year before. The berries of this plant came out of the inflorescence one-by one as they ripened and I usually took them this time (I mean when they "pushed themselves out of the infructescence", but didn't fall off as they were a little sticky). I had a very good germination rate (not measured, but around 90-95%). I had read it earlier, that the germination rate is higher if you pick the berries a little earlier (if I remember well). But I found a similar (near 90%, but again: not determined quantitatively) germination rate of seeds taken from berries stored for a few weeks in a box (stored as whole berries, with the seeds in them!) after "harvesting".
It might be that true species are not as easy to germinate (though I have bought some seeds of an Anthurium species from Ecuador, which had a germination rate near 100%).
Aroid-L mailing list