Re: Colocasia identification

  • Subject: Re: Colocasia identification
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@windstream.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 08:35:54 -0400

This is not Colocasia gigantea. It looks like Colocasia esculenta. A few ways to tell are the coloration of the leaves. Gigantea will have a light pea green color you can also tell by the sap gigantea will have white sap which I believe is very uncommon for other Colocasia species.

::: www.StefanoBarone.net ::: wrote:
Dear Sirs,

I am an Italian naturalistic writer and photographer and
I've bought a rhizome on E-Bay one month a go from a man who
said it belongs to a Colocasia gigantea he personally
collected in Asia.
Now I have a very small plant, but can you identify it?
Here are the pictures:
Is it really a Colocasia gigantea or it could be a more
Colocasia esculenta? What are the scientific characteristic
of a Colocaosia gigantea? Can you help me please?

Best regards
Stefano Barone

[Allegato : DSC_3514.JPG]
[Allegato : DSC_3519.JPG]