RE: going dormant...

From: on behalf of Kevin Martyn
Sent: 	Monday, August 04, 1997 8:56 AM
To: 	Julius Boos
Subject: 	going dormant...

Hi all!
	Every time I have an Amorphophallus enter its dormancy stage I leave =
the leaf alone until it completely abscisses, with the belief that I may =
adversely affect the plant should I cut it off. This often leaves a big =
mass of leaf hanging off the side of the bench because the stem has =
collapsed half-way up. My question far into dormancy do bulbous =
aroids drain any remaining sugars from the leaf and stem? Would any harm =
come from topping a plant before it drops off completely by itself?

Dear Kevin,
I cut the fallen over petiole off about 6 inches above soil level, once I`M
SURE that this portion has withered or shrunk, indicating that the tuber can
not receive furthur nutrition through it.  The basal portion remains attached
to the tuber and drops off after a while.