In-vitro cultivation of Amorph. titanum and Identification

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: In-vitro cultivation of Amorph. titanum and Identification
  • From: Bjørn Malkmus <rareplants@gmx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:06:46 -0600 (CST)

Dear all,

I have two questions to our experts:

1.)
I have in mind that some time ago while having here a heavy discussion on
vegetative propagation of Amorph. titanum someone stated that in-vitro corms
received from tissue extracted from fresh seeds (or better said seedlings'
leaves) may be more viable and show better growth rates than those received
from tissue taken from leaves' axils of mature plants ?

Does anyone know more on this topic ? Or was that only emerging from my
fantasy and wishful thinking ?

2.) From my excursion last October/November I brought some Amorphophallus
species back from northern and southern Thailand, of which I do not have
any clue so far what species these might be.

If anyone is interested, please have a look at some of the fotos I took
and some descriptions on plants and their habitats at:

http://www.rareplants.de/plants/seeds/araceae.htm

New species from Thailand are numbered Spec.002 to Spec.007

For Spec.002 it was suggested that it may be Amorph. muelleri, yet young
leaves didn't show any red margins (not even a little bit), stems are mottled
kind of different than those of Amorph. muelleri and corms are of light
orange-beige color, which I think is different as well. An adult specimen
weighed some 20 lbs / 9kg.

For Spec.007 it was suggested Amorph. krausei, yet the ones I found didn't
make any rhizomatous offsets and (very unsual) the rhizomatous-like corm
grows vertically in the ground and is pure white, turning deep violet after a
few days when being at plain air.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays!

Bjørn Malkmus