Re: Anthurium giganteum?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthurium giganteum?
  • From: "Scott Lucas" <htbg@ilhawaii.net>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:51:40 -0600 (CST)

Dear Jay,

Our "Anthurium giganteum" (which it may not be at all after hearing from Tom
Croat) are from Ecuador and from the 1994 Annual Distribution of aroids from
Missouri Botanical Garden.  They bear Tom Croat's collection number 73277.
Tom was astonished at my description of the size of the leaf so I took an
actual measurement yesterday afternoon.  The leaves are heart shaped, with
the width almost invariably 37 inches.  The length of the leaf is somewhat
more variable but averages five feet six inches.  The petiole measures
consistently at five feet.  I don't have any photos of the whole plant or
leaf yet;  but, yesterday I sent a photo via email to Tom of an
inflorescence and thinks that our plant may possibly be misdetermined since
it does not seem to match his concept of the plant.  He thinks that it may
be A. cupulaspatha or possibly something else.

With regard to setting seed, Tom had further thoughts:  "I honestly think
that a certain amount of dioecism is present in Anthurium because some
plants appear top be just staminate while others appear to be pistillate.
Perhaps yours is just pistillate!  It would be nice to prove this theory (or
disprove it)."  This was in response to my further explanation that our
plants readily shed lots of pollen;  but immediately thereafter the spadix
turns black and dies without producing any pistillate flowers.  We will keep

Scott A. Lucas
Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 80
Papaikou, HI  96781