Iron nails

  • Subject: Iron nails
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@wi.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 20:15:58 -0600 (CST)

>Warning, I do not own any anthuriums.
>But when I find chlorosis, in any plant no matter what species, I dose it
>with Miracid a few times, and that seems to work well.
>I also would consider sticking a common iron nail and a twenty-year-old penny
>in the center of the pot, in case the plant wanted more iron or copper than
>the Miracid provided.

I don't know about the penny, but I doubt that the nail would do any
good.  At best, the iron in the nail would be converted into iron
oxide (rust) and still be unavailable to the plant.  It used to be an
old wives tail that you could treat iron deficiency in a tree by
driving a few nails into it.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin