Re: Another Anthurium

  • Subject: Re: Another Anthurium
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:10:41 -0600 (CST)

I can not tell you what species it is but I have the same thing growing
on my bench. I got it from Fairchild Gardens at their annual Ramble Sale
..whenn I tried to find out what species it was from the numbers on the
tag, I was told that those numbers were meaningless. The seedlings had
been donated by one of their volunteers who work there. As to whether he
did not know the identity of the species or its origins, I have not yet
determined as I haven't made time to look him up.

This I can say it is a beautiful species with short petioles and nice
form. I have been reluctant to propagate it without a name. I do not
think it is Anth. "hookeri" var. Alicia. My recollection of the tissue
cultured variety Alicea was that it was a tall Pachyneurium (perhaps A.
schlectendallii) type with more or less flat leaves. Not this more
elegant, more compact birdsnest type with leaf bases that curve upward
and in.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens