[aroid-l] Stinky Plant

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Stinky Plant
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein ecuador@midsouth.rr.com
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:33:42 -0600

Neil, Do you remember when the neighborhood association sued me over the
greenhouse I put on my property, the very expensive greenhouse? I spent
years of my life dealing with this situation and in the end, I had to
take it down. It was a covenant issue and even though I had one the same
size that was grandfathered, and many other out buildings were in the
subdivision, this one was singled out and  they did not like it. It
quickly became an issue of obedience and control. Enough about that
other than to realize when people get a buzz going that unites them, the
adrenalin really keeps the snowball rolling. There does not have to be
logic or reason in the deal at all. They feel justified. To you and to
me, the smell of a plant for a few days, big deal. Besides, it is
interesting to us, to them it becomes a control issue. It is difficult
to realize and accept that in America, such things can happen, but they
can, and do every day. When you get caught in the furry, it is not nice.
To move, lawyers, are certainly options, expensive options, with no
guarantees.... Difficult decision to thwart the effort of many to push
you out of their discomfort zone and back into their comfort zone.
Remember, "life is 10% of what happens to you, and 90% of how you
respond to it."

I for one, have great compassion for the dilemma of a Linda, the plant
person.............. wish I had an answer that would work. Alas, no such
luck.....

Betsy