Re: [aroid-l] Hope Thursday went Ok

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Hope Thursday went Ok
  • From: "Randy Story" story@caltech.edu
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:23:08 -0800

Linda,

So sorry to hear about your problems with your less-than-enlightened
neighbors.  Very, very sad.   As an owner of a very wild garden (in pots
only), I am lucky to have very tolerant neighbors and a landlord.

I realize you are being inundated with questions (and a lot of support) but
here are a couple more:

You say that the newspaper articles were a week after the story
started--have they followed up since the fining began?  A nice community
outcry would help.

Does your homeowner's organization demand other things, such as a mandatory
lawn and mandatory holiday decoration? (I understand such things are
common).

How many us (all over the country/world) are stuck by all of these and can
only maintain our (interesting) plant collections in their backyard?  I
suspect you are not the only one.  I've also heard that in many
drought-prone California neighborhoods it is impossible to get rid of the
ubiquitous front lawn and replace it with more arid-tolerant plants.
(Luckily my mom doesn't live in such a neighborhood--Dracunculus vulgaris
was one of the plants that bloomed in her front yard this year in a space
formerly occupied by lawn!).  I suspect that some of the worst are the
"gated communities"--any experiences?

I guess my overall question is how many of us are suffering under such
homeowner agreements and what can be done about them now and in the future.

Good luck,

Randy