RE: [Aroid-l] Cold-hardiest Climbing Aroids?

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Cold-hardiest Climbing Aroids?
  • From: "Bamboo Chik" <bamboochik@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:07:12 -0600

I have a Philo selloum that I keep outside year round in SC, AL. Our min. is 10F but has gotten colder in freak years.  Of course the leaves die off at first or second frost, but I then wrap the trunk (vine) with insulating material and mulch heavily with about 12" of straw. Of course it will never look like the ones in south FL., but it is still quite impressive It's about 10 yrs. old...b.f.n...deb/S.AL zone 8

Sent: 12/17/2004 9:50:12 PM
Subject: [Aroid-l] Cold-hardiest Climbing Aroids?

I dont expect anyone to tell me there are any climbing Aroids that could live in my climate (USDA 7b-8a) which can drop to 10-15F each winter, but do any of the experts know which of the climbing aroids can be considered the hardiest?  I have heard Epipremnum aureum is growing as far north as Southern Georgia (USA) but probably not permanently.  Ive seen it personally growing quite tall up pine trees as far north as Jacksonville Florida.  Are there any other climbers (Rhaphidophora? Monstera?) that could take some winter cold with minimal damage?
Thanks,
Michael Mattlage