RE: [Aroid-l] Cold-hardiest Climbing Aroids?

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Cold-hardiest Climbing Aroids?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:12:30 +0000

&gt;From: RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com
&gt;Reply-To: Discussion of aroids &lt;aroid-l@gizmoworks.com&gt;
&gt;To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
&gt;Subject: [Aroid-l] Cold-hardiest Climbing Aroids?
&gt;Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:45:38 EST
Dear Raymond,

I`d GUESS the Philo`s and some Monsteras are the best in cold, M. delisiosa (and P. 'selloum') take a LOT of cold here in Florida. Maybe Tom Croat could give the names of some of the far-South growing Philos/Monsteras, but I do not know if these are available in cultivation.
The Best,
I dont expect anyone to tell me there are any climbing Aroids that could live
&gt;in my climate (USDA 7b-8a) which can drop to 10-15F each winter, but do any
&gt;of the experts know which of the climbing aroids can be considered the
&gt;hardiest? I have heard Epipremnum aureum is growing as far north as Southern Georgia
&gt;(USA) but probably not permanently. Ive seen it personally growing quite tall
&gt;up pine trees as far north as Jacksonville Florida. Are there any other
&gt;climbers (Rhaphidophora? Monstera?) that could take some winter cold with minimal
&gt;Michael Mattlage
&gt;Aroid-l mailing list